Friday, June 17, 2011

After departure, before arrival.

Well, friends. As they say, the first half of TREK is over, now comes the second half. This is the part where I go. Go back home or wherever God takes me next and tell the stories of the great things he is doing; in the world, but also in my heart! 

Props to Vancouver musician, Lance Odegard for the title of this blog. You see, long story short, there's a band that kind of became a favorite amongst the trekkers and even our friends in The Philippines called 'Gungor'. They're great, check out this song of theirs:

My apologies in advance, because this will probably get stuck in your head!

Well, they just happened to be in concert in a neighboring city during debrief!! How exciting; of course several of us wanted to go. 

BEST CONCERT EVER!! (I'm pretty sure that that's a totally accurate statement, but don't quote me.)

So much talent in this band. Anywhoo... Lance Odegard is a local musician that opened for Gungor. To be honest, his portion of the show was mostly less than exciting. Except for a particular song that stood out to me. It was called - you guessed it! 'After departure, before arrival'. He told us before he started the song that he had only written this song that day and last minute decided to include it in the show. I felt like God had done this just for me. He shared that it came from Genesis 12 when God told Abram to leave his country for something unknown. A verse that I've clung to over the last few years is Hebrews 11:8 'By faith Abraham, when called to go to a place he would later receive as his inheritance, obeyed and went, even though he did not know where he was going.'

Here I am sitting in a dark auditorium amongst my fellow teammates. We've just returned from our time in the Philippines and are faced with a giant question of what's next? I was just overwhelmed as Mr. Odegard began singing the song. To be honest, I don't really remember the lyrics of the song, I was just so caught with the title and thinking about the call of Abram. 

Well, I've just left TREK. I've departed, but I've yet to arrive. Not only because I literally am not home yet, but just thinking in the bigger scheme of things. Home is not here, home is not a house in Kansas, it's not even a house! My home is with my creator. 

So. I've departed. I've departed onto a journey where God is calling me to be faithful and obedient to his guidance. Sometimes the road is a little rocky, the path might be narrow, but man, the company is great and the view is breathtaking!

I know you still want to know what's next, guess what? So do I! I don't really know. But there is something so precious about trusting in the Lord. It's completely terrifying, but so exciting and beautiful! 

Tell me about your journey!

Until next time...


2 comments:

  1. True story, I had never heard this song until I watched this video a few days ago. Today driving home from work I turned on the radio and what song was on? This one. That felt crazy!

    ReplyDelete